June 1st was elected to be World Milk Day in 2001 by the Food and Agriculture Organisation of the United Nations (FAO). It is meant to celebrate the important contributions of the dairy sector to sustainability, economic development, livelihoods and nutrition.
The day raises awareness on how important milk is for healthy nutrition and that the dairy sector supports the livelihoods of up to one billion people worldwide!
Milk should be consumed daily as it contains many essential nutrients, which is important for the body. Loaded with nutrients like protein, Vitamin A, B1, B2, B12, and D, potassium, calcium and magnesium, milk is one of the most nutritious beverages one can have.
Milk is not only consumed by growing children but also by the people of all age groups. It is an important part of our daily diet. It has great nourishing value and a rich source of calcium, protein, fat and vitamin C. Mainly we get milk from cows, buffaloes and from other animals like sheep, goat and camel.
The theme for World Milk Day 2019 in India is ”Drink Milk: Today & Everyday”.
- To give out details about the importance of milk and why is there a need to consume it in a human beings’ life
- To raise awareness about milk and milk products by various activities that are organised on this day
- To celebrate the contribution of milk and dairy products in several industries, the economy and people’s lives.
- To educate people about the nutrients present in the milk like calcium, protein, vitamin B2, potassium, iodine, etc.
- Several promotional activities about milk and its importance are launched by the International Dairy Federation on its website online.