Akshaya Tritiya is associated with the Lord Krishna and his childhood friend Sudama.
After Lord Krishna ascended the throne, his friend Sudama visited him on the day of Akshaya Tritiya and as is customary carried a gift to give his beloved friend. But on witnessing the wealth and prosperity of Krishna, he felt ashamed as he thought his gift to be nowhere close to this luxury.
The gift that he gave Krishna was a bowl of Poha and was happily accepted by Krishna. Sudama then returned home, not wanting to ask his friend any financial favours. But when he returned, he saw that his hut had been transformed into a palace. This was Krishna’s gift to Sudama because of his unconditional trust, friendship, and kindness.
And hence the day began to be associated with material gains and wealth. From this legend came the mantra of this auspicious day – “Remember the Kind act of Giving is Thousand Times More Powerful than that of Receiving”, says Ganesha
Rituals Of Akshaya Tritiya
According to Lord Ganesha, you should be clothed in piousness and austerity on Akshaya Tritiya. Follow the rituals below with a pure heart and believe you can achieve wealth, prestige, and success on Akshaya Tritiya. Start a business on that day and it is sure to flourish. You and your family members will gain happiness and prosperity.
- Wake up early in the morning and take an auspicious bath.
- Observe fast.
- Offer sandalwood paste and flower to Lord Vishnu and Goddess Parvati
- During Akshaya Tritiya, you should also pray to Goddess Lakshmi and Kubera (Lord of Wealth).
- Offer wheat, chana dal, milk, gold, clothes.
- Recite ‘Vishnu Sahasranama’ and mantra.
- Prepare Poha as prasad and offer to Lord Vishnu or Lord Krishna.
- Donate to needy and brahmins. Feed grass to cow and calf.
- On the day of Akshaya Tritiya or Akha Teej, donate the following items with a pure heart to the needy people.
- Sesame seeds
- Betel nut
- Tulsi leaves